After stints in beauty editing at BellaSugar and CLEO, Sarah Macrae is now sharing all her beauty know-how at OK! Magazine. One of the nicest beauty editors in the business talks to SOMEWEAR about fashion faves, beauty essentials and her number one tip for looking amazing…
1. What does a typical day in the life of your job entail? Life as a beauty editor can be pretty varied. Checking Twitter and Instagram to see what’s happening is usually my first stop, but then it can either be a breakfast catch-up with a PR/brand to talk about their latest releases, a product launch, hitting the studio to shoot my weekly stories or chaining myself to my computer to actually do some writing!
2. How would you describe your personal style? Easy and comfortable. I don’t really like to wear anything that I can’t sit down or eat in. I’m definitely a comfort over style kinda girl.
3. What’s your never-fail, go-to beauty look? Tousled hair and winged liner.
4. If your house was burning down around you, which 3 items from your wardrobe would you save? My Mulberry Alexa, my Elizabeth & James heels (even though they’ve been worn to death) and my Vanrycke ‘Make a Wish’ necklace – even though it’s not technically in my wardrobe.
5. Which 3 stores would you choose to max out your credit card and why? I love Incu for a carefully-edited selection of brands that I love, Zimmermann for party dresses and Mecca Cosmetica for Diptyque candles.
6. What are your tips for SOMEWEAR readers on how to keep your beauty look fresh and amazing? The basis of good make-up is great skin so spend time on your skincare routine. After removing make-up, massage an oil into your skin to keep it supple and follow with a moisturiser ALWAYS. After that it’s simply about having fun and remembering that it comes off – so don’t be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone.
7. Who is your favourite Australian fashion designer? Michael Lo Sordo. I remember being backstage at his first ever Fashion Week show and just wanting everything. And that feeling hasn’t changed to date!
8. Who are your personal style icons? Kate Moss, Kate Bosworth, Alexa Chung. Girls that have an obvious split between going out and off-duty looks.
10. What polish is on your nails right now? YSL La Laque Couture Tie & Dye because I’m testing it for my pages.
► Online shops: ASOS and Shopbop
► Style websites: WhoWhatWear and Into the Gloss
► Website just to waste time on: Daily Mail
► Last website added to my favourites folder: I never do favourites, I’m so behind the times.